Written by Guest Blogger – Betty White
Clean and shiny floors are essential for many reasons. This is especially true if you are running a successful business. Floors are the first thing people notice when they enter your premises. However, they tend to get damaged easily due to being exposed to everyday wear and tear. Therefore, it’s imperative to maintain them regularly. Does your floor need a strip and wax? You will find out in this article.
What is a Strip and Wax?
Floors tend to get a lot of abuse. Even if you try your best to keep them spotless at all times, some damage is inevitable. Daily cleaning, vacuuming, and scrubbing can’t save your floors as they’ll eventually need to be restored. Therefore, stripping and waxing your floors should definitely be on your maintenance checklist.
But what does a strip and wax imply? Stripping and waxing are the best and easiest ways to revitalize your work-out floors. This is a restorative method that will bring back shine to your floor surface, no matter how damaged it might be.
Always try to keep your floors as safe as possible. Of course, you can’t entirely avoid the damage given that they’re being used all the time, but there is no harm in being extra careful, especially when relocations are in question. If you have some heavy items you need to move, research your options to minimize scratching your hardwood floor. There are even ways to get a piano transferred without ruining it. Therefore, pay attention and give your floors the protection they deserve.
The Striping and Waxing Procedure
The top of your floor is covered with a protective layer. That layer is protecting your floors from foot traffic and any damage that might come with it. As floors are walked on daily, eventually, the protective layer loses its ability to protect, so it needs to be replaced. You can achieve this with stripping and waxing.
Step By Step Guide to Strip and Waxing
- First, you need to remove any objects from the area, such as carpets or mats.
- As chemicals are used for floor stripping, you need to protect the areas that are close and all people that might be in proximity. The cleaning process is not worth putting your employees at risk.
- Clean the area you want to strip and wax with a mop first.
- Prepare the stripping solution by carefully following the instructions.
- After preparing the solution, mop the floor with it and let it sit for a while (no more than 15 – 20 minutes). The chemicals need time to react.
- The next step is to scrub the area as you need to agitate the floor. Check if the floor feels sticky (don’t forget to use a glove). If it’s not, it’s time to remove the solution.
- You can remove the solution simply – you need a mop and bucket of water. It’s essential to wash off the solution thoroughly before applying the finish.
- After you’ve thoroughly washed off the solution, leave the floors to fully dry. If you notice any residue, make sure to mop everything once more. It’s imperative to remove everything.
- Now it’s time to apply the finish. You can do that using a mop and bucket. Let every coat of finish dry for at least 30 – 40 minutes.
- To get the best results, make sure to apply the finish in 3 or 4 coats.
To ensure that your floors are cleaned and protected in the best way possible, hiring professionals is always a better option, such as System4 Facility Services Management.
What Mistakes to Avoid?
Stripping and waxing is a long and expensive process. If you are counting on your staff to do it and it they are not properly trained, they could make some of the most common mistakes:
- Choosing a chemical that is not compatible with the type of flooring
- Not diluting the chemical in the right way
- Not giving the solution enough time to settle
- Allowing the floors to fully dry before removing the chemical
- Not removing all of the chemicals after rinsing
To avoid damaging your floor further, make sure to avoid these mistakes. It could end up costing you much more to fix the issues that might occur.
The Importance of Keeping Up with a Strip and Wax
If you want to keep your floors in good shape, paying attention to maintenance is essential. You should even tend to encourage your employees to keep the workplace clean, floors included.
Depending on how frequently your office space is visited, you should strip and wax at least once a year. This way, you’ll be extending the lifespan of your floors and avoiding any further issues. If you disregard the floor maintenance, you might have to fully replace them, which can cost a fortune.
By stripping and waxing, you will be able to restore your floors and make them look brand new. By giving your flooring a new, protective layer, you will keep them safe from damage that occurs daily.
How a Strip and Wax Can Help Your Business Shine?
As we already mentioned, floors are the first thing people notice when they enter a room. This is especially try when it comes to office space. In offices, there is usually a lot of visible floor space, which draws attention of your visitors and potential clients.
Stripping and waxing will give your floors shine and make them look brand new. This is very important for making the right first impression. If your clients come in and see floors that haven’t been taken care of, they will probably think you are careless about everything else related to your business.
By making sure your office space is sparkling clean, it will look more inviting, and you will show your visitor that hygiene is your priority. You are surely going to make the right first impression.
So, Does You Floor Need a Strip and Wax?
Maintaining commercial floors is very important. This will help you build your company’s image and save you from spending much more money on later repairs. Wondering – does your floor need a strip and wax? It most likely does, so make sure to address it as soon as possible. But, for the best results and shiny floors, make sure to strip and wax at least once a year.